Disney’s new movie warns of global warming

It’s a shocking 95 degrees in April in San Francisco. Instead of fog, the air is filled with the sound of music and kids playing in flip-flops and shorts. For once, you could go to the beach without wrapping yourself up in a parka.

Unfortunately, it’s all too good to be true. Unseasonably warm days are a sign of global warming. Disney’s new movie, Earth, which I happened to see on just such a warm day, shows us why we should be worried about them.

“Of all the planets in our universe, there is only one that we know can support life. It’s called Earth,” the movie begins, with James Earl Jones narrating in his deep, powerful voice. Quickly, the audience is introduced to the three main characters that carry the plot: a male polar bear searching for food for his new cubs on the thin Arctic ice; a humpback whale and her new calf journeying 4,000 miles for food; and a herd of African elephants struggling to find water in the Kalahari Desert.

The families all encounter challenges. Survival instincts, such as searching for water and food, slowly become more and more difficult to achieve. The polar bear knows it is his duty to hunt for seal for his starving family after hibernation lifts. But the ice layer is melting faster and faster, not giving the polar bear enough time to search.

Worse, the ice could melt, leaving him to drown. Clearly, global warming isn’t only evaporating fog — it’s killing beautiful creatures, like the polar bear. Each struggle reveals the delicate line between life and death.

In addition to following the families on their travels, Earth gives viewers a tour of the globe. High-definition cameras capture scenery changing through the seasons, so viewers can watch life grow quickly in one frame.

The film crew also catches rare events, such as a cheetah hunt, a duckling’s first flight, and even a nighttime controntation between hungry lions and tired elephants.

I loved Earth. I left with a new appreciation of life and our planet. Sometimes we forget that we are not the only animals in this world. At a time when our lives are so focused on Twitters and tweets, it is important to step back and look at the grand scope of things. We live on a unique planet, the only one we know of that can support life. Watching Earth will remind you of just how delicate that beauty is, and how quickly it could vanish.

It only takes 90 minutes, but if you watch Earth, you’ll leave loving it more than ever.