The School Newspaper of The Urban School of San Francisco

Dear Yeti,

Dear Yeti is a student-written advice column. Please seek the professional help of Jennifer Epstein or Shafia Zaloom, the Urban School’s health teachers, or Kaern Kreyling, the school’s counselor, if you feel that you or a peer is in danger in any way.

Ana Gorski, Editor of Arts and Culture

Dear Yeti,

Why is saying hi in the hallways to a boy such a hard thing to do?

Signed,

An introvert

Dear introvert,
The Urban School has a small student body with two campuses and many narrow, intimate hallways that are opportune for encountering this boy. Chances are, you run into him at least once a week in the hallways. Sometimes, ignoring this individual can make the situation even more awkward.

It’s helpful to think: “what’s the worst thing that could happen?” If you manage to embarrass yourself, you can laugh and try again next time. Plus, you’ll have a great story to tell. If he laughs at you or ignores you, at least you tried and maybe he’s just not worthy of a greeting from your beautiful face.

When it comes to saying “hi,” the more you do it, the easier it will get. I advise you to fully commit to your greeting. You could even practice different ways of saying hello. Will it be a “hey” or a “go blues” or “what’s up?”  Whatever you decide is most comfortable, make sure that they know you are addressing them by smiling and making eye contact. Good luck!

Sincerely,

Yeti

Dear Yeti,

I am applying to a school that many of my friends are applying to as well. I know that not everyone can get in and I don’t know if we should talk about it or just pretend we don’t know that we are applying to the same schools or what to do when we do or do not get in.

Signed,

Sad Senior

Dear Sad Senior,

This is a situation that many seniors will have to navigate. It is inevitable that seniors will be applying to the same schools, and I recommend that you let your friend know what your first choices are, so that there is complete transparency when selecting your college.

As decision letters arrive, it is important to remember that applying to colleges is a considerably vulnerable process as you present your best self to a college and hope that you are the right fit. Each college is looking for a student that fits its desired freshman class, and there are many factors that are beyond the control of you and your friends.

I suggest that you plan ahead for the day letters arrive. Decide whether or not you will talk about it, how long you will wait to tell the other, and what you will do to get past the possible awkwardness. Whether this is sending a text on the second day or immediately going out to get coffee with your friend, hopefully having a plan will help provide structure in a time when you may feel powerless. Whatever happens, recognize their emotional outlook on the situation and be supportive.

To be fully transparent, your Yeti is also a senior and so this is my best guess.

Sincerely,

Yeti

Dear Yeti,

I’m a guy and I really like this girl but I don’t know what to do if I take her on a date. I know that she is more into dating then hooking up, so that’s good, but what should I do that’s fun if we go on a date??? I want to be creative.

Signed,

A dude

Dear dude,

If you go on a date, go somewhere you would feel most comfortable. Although there is nothing quite like an awkward first date for an interesting life experience, this can be avoided by knowing what you like and what her interests are. I have taken the liberty of mapping out some possibilities.

If you’re into…

Being Active: Go on a hike in Marin and see the fall foliage. Bring some blankets and bundle up. Maybe stop at a cafe on the way back. If you can’t make it out to Marin (I understand), go ice skating either in the Yerba Buena Ice Skating Center or the Holiday Ice Rink in Union Square.

Food: Go locate some prime food trucks. I recommend not getting any food that smells bad, or could stain anything. Walk around, explore, eat and maybe bring blankets and have a picnic. Lovely.

Museums: Something about walking through an exhibition of any kind can be kind of interesting. There is always something to talk about and lots of  interesting things to look at. If you’re looking for an instagram picture, go to the Color Factory. If you like animals, go to The California Academy of Sciences (no joke, I think this would be really fun). If you like video games and being a tourist, go to the Musée Mécanique in Fisherman’s Wharf for a bit of friendly competition and fun with old video games. Good luck!

Sincerely,

Yeti

Dear Yeti,