History teacher Clarke Weatherspoon to become new freshman-sophomore dean at The Urban School

Head of School Mark Salkind announced May 31 that Clarke Weatherspoon, an Urban history teacher, will become 9th and 10th grade dean next fall, replacing English teacher and dean Greg Monfils, who will return to full-time teaching.

The change came about because Monfils felt he needed a change in his professional life. “I didn’t have a sense of renewal in (the job as dean) from year to year,” he said. “I just couldn’t see doing the dean thing anymore. So I will go back to teaching; I really like teaching.”

Monfils added that “every five to six years, I just need to do something different.”

Weatherspoon said he is up to the challenge of his new job.

“I think this is just a good opportunity to work in another capacity in the school,” said Weatherspoon, who has taught at Urban since YEAR.

“I’ve been a teacher for ten years and I’ve taught ninth graders every year and I’ve learned a lot from that experience,” said Weatherspoon, “so I feel like doing something different at the school is important…both to learn as a professional and to keep it exciting. Also, for me, I have an interest in how schools actually function as institutions.”

mug_Clarke2_resized_web

Weatherspoon also took a humorous jab at Monfils, who is known to crack a joke or two. “I have a better sense of humor than Greg,” said Weatherspoon. “Definitely.”

Students said they will miss Monfils but are looking forward to the change in deans.

“I’m sad to see Greg leave,” said Rico Colley (’14),  “but I feel things

with Clarke will mainly stay the same because they both share similar friendly and funny, yet hard working and responsible characteristics that are required to be a good dean.”

“I think Greg did a good job as a dean and a teacher,” said Lara Bajakian (’14), adding “I am looking forward to seeing how Clarke does and the changes he makes.”

Monfils approached Suzanne Forrest, dean of academics, and Salkind in February about returning to full time teaching in English and history. Forrest and Salkind wanted to find someone to fill the position from within the school. Weatherspoon, among others, expressed interest and went through an application and interview process before being chosen as the new dean.

History teacher Dan Matz will continue as the dean for th 11th and 12th grades.

History teacher Deborah Samake said that Weatherspoon’s selection shows that Urban has a deep bench when it comes to faculty.

“I think it shows the versatility of some of our faculty and staff to be able to transition from one job to another,” she said. “(Weatherspoon and Monfils) bring to their jobs the perspectives of the teacher and administrator (and) they both are able to establish rapport with the students, a skill that is extremely important, given that having a good connection with the students is an essential part of the jo

b.”

Asked why he loves teaching so much, Monfils said that “the really interesting part is the pedagogical element: how do we teach when we’ve created curriculum and it sounds great because we’re all by ourselves and no one disagrees with us? How to convey stuff, what should be conveyed, how to convey skills, a sense of responsibility towards work, and appropriate ways of working together. That is very creative, and you have to improvise.”

Monfils’ sense of humor rose to the occasion when asked what the major differences will be between him and Weatherspoon as dean. “It will be more difficult for kids to come to the (dean’s) office because I am so much better-looking,” Monfils said. ”People feel more comfortable with better-looking people, and I am so much better looking than Clarke.”