Dig This

By Megan Madden

The Urban Legend has undergone many transformations since its birth. Last year, it welcomed Beatrice Motamedi as its new adviser. Now, in the span of one year, it is a paper with several accomplishments under its belt – a nomination for the National Pacemaker award, comparative to a Pulitzer Prize for High School Journalism, and stories featured on the “News Hour With Jim Lehrer,” all of which have been significant successes.

This year, we are proud to announce another change underway at the Legend – a brand new website. “Why is it cooler than the newspaper?” Asks Daniel Moattar, managing and multimedia editor. The reason, he says, is that it will have a number of new and exciting features, allowing students a more varied approach in receiving Urban news. The website’s design will give the Urban community access to a variety of podcasts, videos, and polls, enabling students to comment on and discuss articles. Longer versions of articles will be available on the website, along with web-only articles – much more than what you will find in the paper. Is the online Legend an innovative step for the paper? You weren’t born yesterday, Urban students. You know the answer is: definitely.

And in case you were wondering, yes: The Urban Legend has joined Twitter. “Blue Tweets” — up-to-date news on school activities, community events and sports, reported by members of the Legend staff – will be available for viewing.

A lot has changed since this paper started. You never know what we’re going to do next. So watch out Urban. The Legend Online – it’s not just an urban legend anymore.