Heads up on the head of school search

In December 2023, Head of School Dan Miller announced that the 2024-2025 school year would be his final at Urban. Now, in the search for Urban’s next head of school, students and faculty collaborate to define the characteristics they value in a leader.
    One of the community’s priorities is finding a leader who embodies the school’s ethos. According to Urban’s mission statement,“[Urban is] characterized by trust, honesty and mutual respect among students and teachers.”
    Typically, schools begin the search process 18 months before the departure of the current head of school. “They start the process the second [the head] announces [they are leaving],” said Miller.
    Urban’s search is led by a committee of faculty, administrators, parents and trustees supported by Research Group 175 (RG175). RG175 is a firm that helps U.S. and international schools find leadership. RG175’s search team for Urban is spearheaded by consultants Catherine Hunter, Jerrold Katz and Steve Morris, who have all worked as former heads at Bay Area independent schools.
    Students in Urban’s Faculty and Student Committee (FASTCO) met with members of RG175 to help them better understand the Urban community and its needs. They met without faculty members present to allow for an unfiltered conversation.
    “We were all able to put our own twist on [RG175] questions based on our own experiences at Urban,” said Charlotte Lefkowicz ‘25, a member of FASTCO who met with RG175.
    The student-only meeting helps the firm understand the individuals who shape Urban’s culture. “By meeting with us and seeing the dynamic [within our] student group, I think the search team will be able to [help] find the best candidate for us,” said Griffin Hayward ’25, another member of FASTCO.
    After conducting a range of interviews and surveys with students, faculty, parents and alumni, RG175 released a position statement. The statement overviews Urban’s mission, programs and facilities. It also outlines the responsibilities of the head of school and includes quotes from students and alumni about the Urban experience.
    According to the position statement, “Candidates should demonstrate … a collaborative leadership style characterized by seeking input from others, willingness to delegate … [and] to make hard decisions.”
    “It’s a very complicated school, so [this search] is about how you hold those complications and nuances while also maintaining functionality,” said English Teacher Julian Morris.
    Many students believe the next head of school needs a blend of leadership expertise and community spirit. In a survey of over 70 students conducted by The Urban Legend, 88% agreed that connection to the student body was a key trait for Urban’s next head of school. Ninety-four percent of students also agreed that the head’s ability to listen to students and faculty is important.
    Selena Corpuz ‘24 said, “We want someone who is entertaining and good at communication, [but] being intelligent, talented and good at your job comes first.”
    RG174’s head of school position statement also includes the school’s continued commitment to uplifting diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI). “The next head should be prepared to … continue to elevate Urban’s pursuit of being a diverse, equitable, and inclusive school community, assuring that all Urban students can access its demanding curriculum and flourish,” said the position statement.
    Students echo the importance of these skills in new leadership. “I feel like a lot of the ways [that Dan Miller] talks about current events with students reflects the DEI mission and values of equity and inclusion at Urban. … I would like to continue seeing more of that [in a head of school],” said Corpuz.
    Morris also recognized the importance of being able to effectively engage with a wide variety of situations. “I think the ability to speak to various constituents and not have tailored responses for everybody, but [to] speak to different people with confidence, tact and sophistication is something that [the Urban community] is needing and wanting,” said Morris.
    Others highlight that the role of head of school does not always involve direct oversight of student life. “The head of school doesn’t have as much of a direct influence over Urban culture. They are responsible for communicating with parents and doing the behind-the-scenes [work],” said Macey Payne ‘24.
    Miller agreed that being a head of school requires attention to behind-the-scenes responsibilities. “I spend less time with students than I would like. I spend more time with trustees, upset parents or alumni because no one else is going to do that,” said Miller.
    The search committee led by RG175 will finalize top candidates for the head of school position in the upcoming months. “[This] spring, three finalists will come to campus and spend two days [at school] where student [and faculty] groups will be interviewing them,” said Miller. “I think the school is in a really strong place, and Urban will attract incredibly good candidates.”
    Urban’s future head of school is unknown, but Miller believes Urban will continue to thrive under new leadership.
    “You want someone who is drawn here because of all the things that Urban is, but is also interested in thinking about what it could become,” said Miller. “You have to love what [Urban] is but not love it so much that you are afraid for it to change.”

Illustration credit: Daphne Gilman
    Jordan McCornock
    Jordan McCornock, Editor in Chief, Creative