Photoessay: Urban school sends students and faculty on educational trip to India

A common scene throughout the trip: This woman rummages through trash thrown by the wayside in Mumbai, in hopes of finding discarded food. The majority of trash in the country is not collected by sanitation companies or deposited in landfills, leading to the spread of diseases such as tuberculosis. We saw many heaps of burning rubbish in front of stores and shacks; we saw a cow nibbling on burnt trash in Pune. In January 2011, researchers at Princeton, Adelaide, and Harvard universities and University of Singapore published a study ranking India as the 7th most environmentally hazardous country in the world.

Maharajas. The Taj Mahal. Colorful saris, bindis, henna-dyed hair and flowers. Call centers, skyscrapers, the most expensive house in the world. Some of the largest slums in Asia, children without shoes, contaminated water, and emaciated elderly. Affluence and poverty, power and oppression, globalization and deeply ingrained traditions. India is a country of contrast and contradiction, the tangible manifestations of its flaws set against a strikingly beautiful background.

A group of 14 Urban School students spanning three grade levels, two faculty members and I were struck head-on by these contradictions as we travelled the Indian state of Maharashtra from Dec. 12to Dec. 31, 2011. At first I was shocked, then angered, and finally deeply saddened by the extreme poverty I encountered; there were shoeless, unsupervised children wandering trash-laden streets or begging for food, mothers balancing emaciated children on their equally-emaciated hips while begging for baby formula, men earning less than 50 rupees ($1) a day to support three generations of family living under one roof.

Hoping to bring as much of our experience back to Urban as possible, the group members and I took hundreds of photos of the beautiful, the ugly, the thought provoking and the difficult to see. Here is some of what we witnessed (click to see enlarged images).