Brower Youth Awards set stage for youth environmentalism

By Sara Brooks

Our culture does not typically bestow responsibility upon teenagers. Yet teenagers all over the United States (as well as other parts of the world) have taken on the responsibility of trying to counter the dangerously fast-growing practice of environmental neglect. By taking initiative to immerse themselves in a global issue that our culture would not define as their obligation, they are redefining the role that teenagers can play in today’s society, becoming stewards of change.

On Oct. 20, 2009, six teenagers and young adults were called to the Herbst Theatre stage in San Francisco, as representatives of this evolving movement. In the midst of an overflowing, upbeat crowd, chiefly comprised of young people, each of these dedicated environmental leaders graciously accepted their Brower Youth Awards.

In 2000, Earth Island Institute extended its Young Leaders Initiative program to include the annual Brower Youth Awards in honor of environmentalist David Brower, whose “vision for action,” according to the official Brower Youth Award website, “was his mentorship of younger emerging leaders.”

To promote youth action and awareness, each year the Brower Youth Awards highlight six young people who have made extraordinary contributions in the area of environmental and social justice.

By honoring these young activists, the awards draw attention to youths’ capacity to realize power and promote change, while addressing both unsolved and surfacing problems, in hopes that inspired youth will tackle the issues that move them most.

This year’s award recipient, 16-year-old Adarsha Shivakumar, urged proactive behavior for teenagers interested in becoming involved in the movement: “Act on any ideas (you have) and do whatever you want to do.” Al Gore’s 2006 documentary, “An Inconvenient Truth” motivated Shivakumar to take action, he said. He immediately employed his interest in a relevant cause, and has since made immense advances in his work.

In 2007, Shivakumar, a student at the College Preparatory School in Oakland, CA, co-founded Project Jatropha. The organization’s goal is to implement and extend the production and use of the Jatropha seed, an agriculturally sustainable seed used to create low-carbon emission biofuel. The organization is currently focused in Southern rural India, and has already established strong relations with numerous biotech companies who have assisted them in their strides towards environmental and economic sustainability in India.

Alec Loorz of Ventura California became involved in environmentalism at age 12. After denied admittance into Al Gore’s Alliance for Climate Change organization, Alec was finally accepted to become the Climate Project’s youngest presenter. At age 15, he has now established his own organization, Kids vs. Climate Change, whose mission is “to educate youth on the science of climate change and empower them to take action.” Loorz has created other campaigns, including “The Declaration of Independence from Fossil Fuels,” which he plans to present to Congress in October 2010.

The organization granted additional awards, along with the standard 3,000 dollar cash prize, to four other decided winners, including Robyn Bryan of Winnipeg, Manitoba, Sierra Cranc-Murdoch of Middlebury, Vermont, Diana Lopez of San Antonio, Texas, and Hai Vo of Irvine, California.

In relaying their experiences and ideals, the recipients all acknowledged the indispensable nature of working towards bettering the state of the planet, and urged our generation to play a larger role. Fortunately, at Urban, students are in an opportune environment to participate in this challenge.

Green Team has played a major role in promoting environmental awareness and action both inside and outside school. According to Urban Junior and Green Team member Isabel Semler, the team’s most recent endeavor is “work[ing] with restaurants on Haight Street to be [more] sustainable with their food and supplies.”

Last winter, Green Team also refurbished the garden, with two of its members creating the Urban Farm Club this fall, encouraging students to participate in growing food and learn about sustainable eating. Green team has also taken measures to further educate the student body by “hanging up informational flyers, making “green support” and FAQs,” according to Green Team member Charlotte Harris (’11). The club also plans to host a week in the spring with visits and lectures by environmental experts.

More information on the awards at http://broweryouthawards.org