Students, city leaders debate proposed sit/lie ordinance for San Francisco’s Haight Street

We walk by them every day. We pointedly avoid their gazes when they ask us to spare some change. Occasionally, we give them our leftover food. For Urban students, the homeless population of the Haight is an integral part of the high school experience. Some find the neighborhood’s homeless population is an irritation. Others believe these people are a necessary part of the Haight experience.

The issue of homelessness took on new force recently when Police Chief George Gascón proposed a sit-lie ordinance for the neighborhood.

Such policies, which operate in cities such as Portland, Ore. and Palo Alto, give police more authority to move homeless off streets during business hours.

According to Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi, in an interview with the Legend, “it would … provide the police the discretion of assigning the law as an infraction or a misdemeanor. If it’s a misdemeanor, you are going to jail.”

In written responses to questions submitted by the Legend, Gascón predicted that “such an ordinance here in San Francisco would be limited in scope, and crafted to target those individuals who are impairing the quality of life and inspiring fear in different areas of our city.”

On March 1, Mirkarimi will hold a hearing to address the issue of a possible policy change in dealing with citywide homelessness.

Mirkarimi has asked District Attorney Kamala Harris and City Attorney Dennis Herrera to attend, along with the Board of Supervisors and members of the Public Safety Committee. He has also asked Gascon, who has proposed the sit-lie ordinance, to be present.

Gascón said he was supporting the sit-lie ordinance because “existing laws do not give officers what the proposed ordinance would, specifically the ability to cite, when appropriate, those persons who are negatively impacting the public’s right to walk our city streets without interference or intimidation.”

The homeless on Haight street differ greatly from other homeless people elsewhere in San Francisco, according to Kevin Fagan, staff writer for the San Francisco Chronicle. Fagan and his photographer-partner, Brant Ward, spent two years reporting on San Francisco’s homeless for their “Shame of the City” series in 2003.

The Haight, says Fagan, is home to “the most visible homeless problem in the country. It’s right in your face.”

According to Fagan, Haight Street is positioned centrally on the so-called “Hippie Trail,” which winds from Vancouver, British Columbia, to Seattle; Ashland, Ore.; San Francisco; Santa Cruz and eventually cities in New Mexico.

“Some of the kids here (in the Haight) are pretend homeless,” Fagan said. “They are just sort of trying it on, seeing if it fits.” These “road warriors,” or “aggressive thugs” are the targeted group of the proposed sit-lie ordinance, according to Gascón.

Residents of the Haight are asking for a more aggressive way to deal with the area’s homeless. But Mirkarimi said that complaints don’t necessarily require a new sit-lie law. “These complaints are chronic,” says Mirkarimi.

The supervisor acknowledged that the Haight has a homeless problem, saying that the issue was “not uncommon, just different in the Haight.” The aesthetic presence of the homeless “undermines residents’ vision of what their ideal neighborhood looks like.“

As of now, San Francisco has a “High Pedestrian Traffic Area” ordinance. It states that homeless cannot sit or lie on a public sidewalk between 7 a.m. and 9 p.m. It also says that their animals must be kept leashed and that their belongings must be kept out of public walkways. The ordinance also prohibits aggressive panhandling in public places. The current law allows for the police to act independently or to act on a civil complaint, says Mirkarimi.

“What I want to know is, why aren’t the police enforcing current anti-loitering laws?” he asked.

San Francisco is not the first city to propose a sit-lie ordinance. In fact, in 2007, Portland adopted a sit-lie ordinance to ban homeless people in three neighborhoods between 7a.m. and 9 p.m., according to the Portland Business Journal. One year after the law passed, the results were controversial. In 2008, the Journal reported that “while Portland police officers primarily apply the rules against homeless persons, they ignore the political canvassers who regularly block downtown sidewalks.”

According to Mirkarimi, San Francisco’s police department did not inform the Board of Supervisors about its decision to propose sit-lie. “I don’t think it was appropriate for the police to unilaterally drum up legislation and then propose it in the press,” Mirkarimi said. “We didn’t even see or hear about the legislation until we read it about it in the Chronicle.”

The sit-lie ordinance would not only have a big impact on the city, but it would also affect Urban students. Nicki Greenberg (’13) said, “I like (the homeless people) because they give a little culture and spirit to the Haight.” The freshman says taking away this culture would alter the Haight as we know it.

Other students are looking for less homeless on the streets. “I’m sick of them,” said Mikhael Porter (’10). Porter also said, “they should have another place to go.” Jordan Calhoun (’10) said that “besides the mentally ill, I have no sympathy for them.” It remains to be seen how the city deals with those who Mirkarimi says are “down and out but civil” and those who are “down and out and uncivil.”

Don Tanksley, 60, has been living on and off Haight Street for his whole life. He stopped to talk as he was on his way to drum in nearby Golden Gate Park. Having lived around the Haight for so long, Tanksley has witnessed the evolution of the neighborhood.

“It’s like any other place, with the tourists and all,” he says. “It’s changed quite a bit.”

Tanksley recognizes the different kinds of homeless people living in the Haight. “A lot of people who don’t live here come (here),” he said.

Tanksley looked worried when speaking about his living situation. “It’s a day-to-day struggle,” he said. “It’s pretty rough. I don’t usually have any place to go.” He also recognized a recent increase in police force on Haight. “Police want to hassle you,” he said. “(They) are coming down harder now.”

Tanksley is no supporter of sit-lie. “If a person has no place to go, they should be able to hang out on the street,” he said. “These people are tired, exhausted. They just need a rest.”

According to Mirkarimi, solving the issue of homelessness is “a question of will … the laws need to be enforced.” Mirkarimi said that he “would like the police to be more proactive” by walking “street beats” or by pacing up and down areas like the Haight to keep a more vigilant eye on lawbreaking.