Michelle Obama’s healthful food campaign makes strides

Chuck Kennedy

The Let’s Move campaign, started by First Lady Michelle Obama, aims to teach kids the importance of healthful eating and daily exercise.

Obesity is a national epidemic; one in three kids in America is obese. According to Michelle’s website describing her campaign, Let’s Move has an “ambitious national goal of solving the challenge of childhood obesity within a generation so that children born today will reach adulthood at a healthy weight.”

Michelle Obama’s campaign seems to be influencing America this is a national issue: The US Food and Drug Administration announced Thursday that it has created new guidelines to address unhealthy eating in school cafeterias.

According to a January 13 article in the Bay Area News group, students will have to “pick more whole grains, fruits, and vegetables in the lunch line under new federal standards for school lunches.”  

Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack was quoted in the Bay Area News Group article, “The new standards could affect more than 32 million children and are crucial because kids can consume as much as half of their daily calories in school.”

While America is trying to incorporate healthy food into school cafeterias, Urban School Health Teacher Jenn Epstein believes that Urban is already doing a pretty good job.

“Relative to other schools, our cafeteria is healthy,” Epstein said. “There is a good variety of choice[s], sometimes organic meat, and a nice selection of sandwiches and salads.” Yet, Epstein admits, “I’d love to see more local fruits and vegetables from farmer’s markets.”