EDITORIAL: Congress needs to work together to fix a broken political system

NOTE: This editorial represents the collective opinion of the Urban Legend. The “author” of the piece is not necessarily the writer, but merely the uploader of the article. Please direct all questions and comments to [email protected]

Enough is enough. House Republicans have crossed the line separating democracy and abusive use of power. And America deserves better.

We stood by Washington when George W. Bush was elected president in 2000 and 2004, and when the Tea Party took control of the House in 2010 because we respect democracy. The voice of the American people must be heard whether or not we agree with it.

However, we can no longer stand behind Congress because it does not share our respect of democracy, nor does it listen to the public. It acts unilaterally, ignoring the needs of the people.

When President Barack Obama took office in 2008, many House Republicans vowed to block every idea he suggested. While this was no way to run a country, we accepted it. If Congress represents the people and the people disagree, then it made sense for Congress to disagree.

However, our trust has been breached. During the recent government shutdown, House Republicans, led by House Speaker John Boehner, not only refused to vote for the federal government’s budget, but also used a political loophole to stop the vote from even happening, all to prevent the funding of Obama’s Affordable Care Act.

This had immediate impact, ranging from veterans not receiving their pensions, to the closing of federal courts, to the Urban cross country team not being able to run in Crissy Field.

Republicans demonstrated their disregard for a key principle of this nation: Democracy. There is never an excuse for blocking a vote. If something is deemed constitutional and has a sufficient number of votes it should pass. Simple. That is how America works.

The Declaration of Independence says that “whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive … it is the Right of the People to alter or abolish it.” Today, we are faced with the sad truth that our government is destructive and we must therefore fight to change it. Contact your representatives in Congress and make your voice heard.