Girls varsity volleyball focuses on positive energy in face of 2-9 record

Kyle Chong

At first glance, it’s hard to see why the varsity girls volleyball team shows so much pride: After all, a 2-9 record usually puts a damper on a team’s energy. But co-captains Abby Lowenthal (’13) and Haley Witt (’13) have managed to keep the Blues engaged and competitive in their season so far.

“Our team has become a lot closer this year,” said Witt. “We have been spending much more time bonding and getting to know each other. I think this has really helped us on the court in terms of communication and support.”

Lowenthal agrees. “I think it’s going to be a great season,” she said. “We have a lot of fun on-and-off the court, which is super-crucial when we are up against girls that, frankly, have more experience.”

Even as the team struggles, you can see Lowenthal and Witt’s positive messages pay off. Every home game, the girls dress in increasingly ridiculous outfits and put on Urban-themed face paint.

It could be argued that a team that comes to school dressed as ninjas is showing a certain sense of positivity that was absent in Urban teams just a few years ago.

While the girls continue fighting, varsity libero Genna Gores (’14) looks to the future.

“We had a rough start to the season … but we’re pretty young and inexperienced,” said Gores. However, Gores said that teammate Natalie Sears “seems like she’s going to grow into an asset for the varsity team over the next two seasons as a new setter.”

The Blues’ next home game is on Oct. 19 in St. Agnes gym, where they will host International High School.