The price of pre-college programs

Are summer courses really worth it?

According to U.S. News & World Report rankings, 39 of the top 40 most prestigious U.S. universities offer Pre-college programs. As many students prepare for education after high school, some wonder to what extent Pre-college programs will improve their application during their college process.
    Pre-college programs are on-campus or online courses taught by college professors. Typically offered to students between the ages of 14 and 18, classes take place over the summer and can last from a few weeks to months depending on the program.
    Students attend Pre-college programs for various reasons and academic interests. Cornell Pre-College Studies’ website states, “These programs are tailored to high-achieving students looking to challenge themselves with rigorous academics; students wishing to explore college fit, academic majors and/or careers before applying to college; and those who may be nervous about college and want to try it out in a supportive setting.”
    Alex Yang ‘24, who attended the Yale Young Global Scholars program in the summer of 2023 said, “I chose one called ‘Politics, Law and Economics.’ It was really cool, but I think I’ve benefited a lot more from the social aspect rather than the educational aspect. Because you could learn all [that’s taught in the course] online.”
    The same summer, Grayson Hoe ‘25 attended a Pre-college program at Brown University. “You have to look at both sides of it. You’re there for the academics, but also actually getting the experience to learn and make friends at a college.”
    These courses enroll a range of students who live all over the world. “[I met] this kid that lived in Saudi Arabia and then grew up in Hong Kong. Everyone’s just there and no one really knows each other. You’re going to go out and meet people,” said Yang.
    Many summer programs come at steep prices depending on housing and the length of the course. Four weeks at the University of Southern California (USC) Pre-college program charges upwards of $10,000. Yale’s Summer 2024 Tuition for five weeks can be higher than $14,000. Twelve days at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) Pre-college program can range from $3000 to $6000.
    Students can apply for need-based financial aid. Cornell Pre-college awards partial aid while taking into account factors like income, family size, number of siblings in college and medical expenses.
    Yang said, “It was expensive … because you’ve got to get a flight over there … and depending on how long it is, you have to think about room and board and all that.”
    Chiara Richter ‘25 said, “I do agree when people say that [Pre-college programs] are a huge amount of money for not that much. You’re spending thousands and thousands for a two-week program … [because] there’s a big, fancy college name attached to it.”
    Instead of attending a Pre-college program, Ritcher spent her 2023 summer working a job. “All the people that I know who have gone to [Pre-college programs] … are [not] on financial aid. There’s a lot of discrepancy … and work is a big factor for many lower-income families. You’re just expected to get a job over the summer and help pay bills. That’s just kind of the way it goes,” she said.
    For many students, summer programs can be a financial burden, while others attend multiple programs during one summer. “Kids who’ve gone to a bunch of college programs treat them like amusement parks or malls, saying ‘Oh, this Stanford one had the best food,’” said Yang.
    “I don’t fully understand what people are getting from them. You’re getting lectured at and paying more than you would at a university. … Consider taking classes at a community college. Boy, will you save yourself some money. And you’ll actually learn something,” said Richter.

Photo credit: Marcio Jose Sanchez.
    Riley Young
    Riley Young, Editor in Chief, Creative