Varsity boys basketball claws its way to top of BCL in sweep of Wildcats

Urban students roar their approval as the final buzzer screams victory for the Blues.

A deafening roar swept over Hagan Gym on Friday, Jan. 27, as countless Urban supporters chanted with an intensity not often heard at an Urban game. Along with the traditional “Who’s house? Blues’ house!” call and response, a new cheer shook the gym.

“Beat MA! Beat MA! Beat MA,” screamed dozens of supporters in a parody of the native San Francisco Giants’ “Beat LA” cheer.

The Blues did just that last Friday.

The Jan. 27 varsity boys basketball game marked both a shot at first place in the Bay Counties League- West as well as revenge for the Blues. Urban fans did not walk away disappointed, with an exciting 49-42 victory. The win followed a heartbreaking 1-point loss on Jan. 10, also to Marin Academy.

On the other side of the Bay in Marin, the Urban girls varsity team also won a close 3-point game against Marin Academy, improving their record to 11-8 and re-establishing the dominance the girls enjoyed earlier in the season. “A SWEEP of the ‘CATS,” said Athletic Director Greg Angilly in a schoolwide email. “GOT TO LOVE IT!”

In what could be interpreted as a poke at Marin Academy, Angilly told supporters of the boys to stay on the sidelines “when we win, don’t rush the court; it’s not an upset,” referring to how Marin Academy fans streamed onto their home court after their victory against Urban earlier this year.

Time will tell if the Blues can hang on to their run of success. But with this week’s wins over Marin Academy, and the varsity boys tied for first place with Lick-Wilmerding High School and University High School in the Bay Counties League standings, the Blues increasingly are looking like a force on the court.